Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Week One: Hiking The Pacific Crest Trail

"It's just walking. Anyone can do it." - Yogi

Looking at the climb out of Scissors crossing (mi 77)


So, im just about through my first week on the trail. My extreme blogging ambitions have fallen by the wayside a little, but I'll do my best to capture some thoughts. I haven't had decent cell reception, and I've been caught up in the adventure and meeting new people. I've met tons of people already, from all different walks of life - and parts of the world even.

Since I delayed my start date to the 25th and got a ride out here from my parents, I lucked out and made it to the last day of the big PCT kick-off event. People who've done the trail in previous years come out and greet the new batch of hikers, and coordinate seminars and advice.

And I got to meet Yogi, the woman who wrote the guidebook I'm using! She gave me a PCT class of 2015 bandana. Pretty cool!

Yep, it can also be used to hitch a ride to or from town


The Hiking Community on Trail:

I've been hiking with a cool group of people. Sometimes we stay together, sometimes everyone does their own thing. You can hike all day in solitude usually, since everyone goes a similar pace down the trail. Then when you get to a water source or camping area, there's often a group of people chilling and resting their feet. It's never predictable where you'll encounter people either. You might run into someone at the next water source that you haven't seen in days.

There's an interesting age group out here also, and it's pretty well split. There are people in the 20 to 30 age group, and then people in the 50-60 age group. So, discontented youngsters like myself, fighting a 9 to 5 existence, and retired people chasing a dream they never made time for when young.



Either way, it's a beautiful trip. The Pacific Crest Trail in these early miles is like a roller coaster. It climbs way up into the mountains with beautiful views, and then drops down to the desert floor... over and over again. The terrain is constantly changing, making every section new and exciting. Everyday I can stop and look back on the miles I've accomplished, as the mountains roll behind me into the distance.

Check out my video synopsis of week one as well. I'll try to keep the blog entries coming.



9 comments:

  1. that was a wonderful video, Ken. Great to see the vistas you are travelling through and to hear your take on it. Thanks and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo bro! Great to see that you are having fun!!! I thought you'd get sick of the desert but it looks like there's a lot of variety out there. Be safe and find your zen! love you. -Co

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've really enjoyed the blog so far, including the preliminary getting ready comments. The video shots from the trail are great. I'm reminded of a hot summer day visiting with Ken along the Comal with a cold Shiner and am guessing a cold Shiner would taste mighty good about now. I hope (expect) the clear desert nights are esp. nice for an astronomer. I really liked your comment about the need to hike mornings and evenings for the views. Keep it up! Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, so glad you're all enjoying the journey so far! Week two is even more exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video Ken. You are getting some beautiful footage.

    Drew wants to know when you expect to be between Whitney and Tuolumne. He'll be camping out there this summer and wants to catch up with you.
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I keep going the rate I am, I should be near Mt Whitney mid or late June. Tuolumne meadows is another 2 weeks out from there by foot, so July maybe? It's hard to say exactly from here, but it would be cool to catch Drew if he's out around then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9 to 5...where did you work coz I want a job there. Haven't filled you spot yet so when you are ready....downside is that Rey moved to Leo's spot...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We enjoyed the latest postings. You're doing a great job giving us an idea of what the trip is like. Following you on the map. It's amazing how far one can go just walking. The shots down onto the cloud tops from San Jacinto we great.

    ReplyDelete