Sunday, July 12, 2015

"I've found hiking paradise in the Sierras... turns out paradise has mosquitos too."  
 - Traveller


Leaving Kennedy Meadows


I have begun hiking in what is considered by most to be the best section of trail on the PCT: the Sierra Nevada mountains. It's full of towering mountain views and beautiful high altitude lakes. The section of trail doesn't drop below 8000 feet in elevation for several hundred miles.

Forrester pass looming, the highest point on the PCT


It is also some of the hardest hiking I've done this journey, with big climbs over mountain passes every day.

The PCT also merges with another popular route, the 200 mile John Muir trail. This has consequently been the busiest section of trail I've seen, and I do miss some of the solitude found in the desert.

I walked past a group the other day, and a guy on the end caught my eye. His gear was all shiny and new, his beard perfectly trimmed, and he had the goofiest grin of excitement plastered to his face for the journey he was just beginning.

That was me a mere 2 months ago...
Nice pose, bro



Now, I'm one of the bad boys of the Sierra.

Blessed with awesome beard genes..

A wizard of Yosemite.

My rain jacket and rain kilt - I get a lot of compliments on the outfit

A hiking machine with 900 plus miles under my belt.

On the way up Whitney's jagged crags

The JMT differs from the PCT by an order of magnitude, plain and simple. Those hikers can take two weeks off work for the journey, and are willing to spend any amount of money to ensure a successful journey. PCT hikers on the other hand are like, "Woohoo, I quit my job!"



I love where I am right now, and what I have become. My soul is full to the brim with whatever essence I felt lacking when seeking the trail to begin with.

Cheers friends, enjoy the scenes from the Sierra part 1. Glad so many of you have been following with me on the journey. Sorry for delays between posts, the towns are a bit more spread out these days...






8 comments:

  1. You have graduated from Noob-dom!
    Also think about that "essence" and how you can capture it again, as all of life is a journey (and yes it is full of mosquito's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Ken, everything looks beautiful this time of year. I had a friend who was turned down for a permit to hike the JMT because they limit the number of hikers out there every year. Keep on going Traveler...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures, Ken. That looks like some tough hiking! Glad I can watch you and not have to do it myself. Nice of you to share your experiences. How cold was that water you were soaking your feet in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That water wasn't too cold, but most of the lakes up there were freezing... I still jumped in a few though!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ken.. Do you remember me? I am jinsu which worked with you in 2014 for 20nm. I was so sorry when i heard you left samsung. But i have heard you are travelng from mexico to canada, i thouht it is great decision for you to make in your age. I often come to your blog. Please be careful and god bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you Jinsu. Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear you are following my journey!

      Delete
  5. Just stumbled on your you tube page. Awesome stuff man. I was just in the Sierras camping for a week.. Looking forward to the updates

    ReplyDelete