Monday, April 20, 2015

Resupply Madness!

I'm now completing the final preparations before setting off.. which means I've got my gear nailed down and my resupply packages ready to go (mostly)!

 Resupply is an interesting topic. A lot of the advice I've come across seems to indicate that the preferrable strategy is to primarily fill up at grocery stores in towns along the way, for two reasons: schedule flexibility, and changes in food appetite.

You can skip a town here or there if you are still well supplied, since you don't have make a scheduled package pick-up. If you decide you are absolutely tired of instant oatmeal, you don't have to dread the fact that you've already shipped a million packets of it in your future boxes!

For that reason, I'm going to restock via a small combination of mailed boxes and resupply in town stores. I've prepared 3 boxes to have sent to me, which I can contact my resupply guru (thanks mom!) To add any additional gear I need. For towns that may not have large enough stores, I can plan ahead and even ship myself a package from the town just before!


Check out the map. I'll start with enough food for a week. That should get me to mile 109.5, Warner springs, if I cover at least 15 miles a day. That's where im sending package no. 1.

Then I hit the grocery at the next town at mile 179, Idyllwild, which is also supposed to be a super hiker friendly town. That'll get me to Big Bear at mi 266, etc ect..

Fun part was buying all the resupply food. Criteria for hiking nutrition: lots of calories!   


Bomb's away, I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment